Thursday 6 October 2011

Dessert for Holiday weekend - Rasberry and Mascarpone Fluff

Yesterday I had an early Thanksgiving dinner with the people I usually have dinner parties with. It was my time to do a dessert. As I am Estonian we have this thing called Kama, that you can use in desserts or everyday cooking. Kama is an mixture of various roasted and ground grains & pulses - usually peas, barley, rye and wheat. You can read from here about it KAMA and a tasty dessert,

Here I have you a different fluff dessert with berries. 
I know, I know - what am I thinking about posting a recipe for summer fruit dessert in the middle of the Christmas season?? You see, I craved a fruity dessert the other day, and came across this recipe for a blackberry fluff in the October 2006 issue of the British food magazine Olive. Unfortunately, neither one of the two nearby grocery stores had frozen blackberries that day, so I had to settle for frozen Estonian raspberries instead. Not a bad choice, I think - they're still tart and sweet at the same time, plus I love the colour.

Note that the dessert has much more character when it's been given a few hours' rest in the fridge - you can taste the mascarpone again then. I didn't bother to sieve the fruit pulp, but please do, if you think the small seeds will bother you.

Supereasy and rather nice.

Raspberry and Mascarpone Fluff
Serves six to eight

300 g frozen raspberries
1 Tbsp sugar
250 g mascarpone, at room temperature
200 ml whipping cream (35% fat content)
1 tsp vanilla sugar or extract

Heat the berries (keeping a few aside for decorating) gently with the sugar for a couple of minutes or until they give off juice. Whizz in a food processor until smooth, then push through a fine sieve, if you want to get rid of the seeds. Cool.
Beat the mascarpone with a spoon until it is softened, then fold in the berry purée and the vanilla extract. Loosely whip the cream and fold it in.
Spoon into small dessert bowls, decorate with extra berries. Place in the fridge for a few hours before serving.




In my yesterdays recipe I used fried rye bread as a garnish - You can use crumbled ginger cookies! 

In my yesterdays recipe I used ricotta cheese instead of mascarpone cheese and I also added cinnamon!!!


Here is a picture of yesterdays dessert (sorry about the blurriness) and main course. Main course has our last week recipe of butternut squash!


No comments: