Friday 29 June 2012

Student profile - Karen


Tell us about your very first Bikram Yoga class
Think it was about 2.5 years ago now.  I went because I had practiced the series by someone who taught it a few times just so we could experience it and I loved the sequence.  When I realized there was a Bikram studio opening I couldn't wait to try it 'for real' in a hot room. 

How soon did you come back for your second class?
I came back within the week.  The 2nd class was much harder as the heat really got to me.  Still, I was intrigued by the "after feeling" that the series gave.  I surprised myself by purchasing a pass-card.  Thinking I'd go "once in a while", before I knew it I was going fairly regularly, did a 30-day challenge (or 2) and now buy yearly memberships.

What are some of the benefits you receive from Bikram Yoga?
Besides literally sweating out pain from my body, the biggest benefit I get from the practice is the deep sense of calm I feel after class (and over time also "during" class). 

What keeps you coming back for more?
It feels good!  Plain and simple.  I love and appreciate many different styles of yoga but Bikram yoga is my medicine.

What do you find most challenging about practicing Bikram Yoga?
Getting out the door!  I live in Arthur now so it’s easy to get lazy and just not drive down to Guelph.  But, prior to that, the most challenging part of the actual practice was the mirror.  Who could imagine that could be so hard....but it was!  It’s all there.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  I am slowly making peace with the girl in the mirror.

What’s your favorite posture? Your most dreaded posture?
Favorite and dreaded postures definitely change over time.  Right now I'd have to say the third part of awkward pose is not one I particularly look forward to whereas standing bow pulling pose feels expansive and freeing.

Any tips for new people?
All our experiences are different no doubt.  But some tips I would suggest from my experience would be:  
1. Be patient with yourself and enjoy (its only yoga!);
2. Focus on your breath; allow it to remain calm;
3. Consider not drinking water (or at least try not to guzzle it).  It’s just a distraction;
4. Do less; move as little as possible and
5. Smile at yourself once in a while.

No comments: