Initially you might be silently weeping in Locust Pose but relax, after a few weeks of practice, the wrists, elbows and shoulders start to cooperate. Then you’ll see how this pose targets the upper back.
Lying on the belly with the chin forward on the towel, lift the hips, turn the arms in and pin them underneath the body. Keep the palms flat on the floor so close that eventually the baby fingers touch. Help maneuver the arms underneath the body by lifting one hip at a time and rolling to the side.
Without lifting the hips, raise the right leg straight up to 45-degrees, and keep the left leg relaxed on the floor. Just keep the muscles in the right leg tight, point the toes and lock the knee.
Keep both hipbones touching the forearms, making sure the right hip is not twisting out. Keep s-t-r-e-t-c-h-I-n-g the right leg back and hold for 10 seconds.
Repeat left leg.
Time for both legs!
To protect the neck, the head must tilt down, chin in, and mouth on the towel. The arms stay underneath the body and the legs are super straight with pointed toes and locked knees. From here, lift both legs up off the floor, keep breathing, and hold for 10 seconds.
Strive to get both legs and the hips lifted off the floor all the way to the belly button. Use every ounce of strength in the legs and abdomen, and be patient.
Lower both legs without collapsing, turn to one side, Savasana.
- Erector Spinae
- Trapezius Muscles
- Latissimus Dorsi
- Pelvic Floor
- Elbow Joint
- Upper Back
- Digestive System
- Reproductive System
- Effective in helping conditions of slipped disc and sciatica
- Firms buttocks and hips
- Increases spinal strength, flexibility and circulation
- Improves flexibility and tone of spinal muscles
- Helps relieve and prevent backache
- Helps cure or relieve lumbago, rheumatism and arthritis
- Relieves menstrual problems
- Helps cure loss of appetite
- Helps with tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis in the wrists and hands
- Improves sluggish digestion
- Increases abdominal pressure and regulates intestinal function
- Helps correct bad posture
- Relieves cervical spondylosis and back pain
- Encourages concentration and perseverance