Friday 16 March 2012

Student Profile - Annika Gofton

Tell us about your first Bikram Yoga class … when did you go and why?
My very first class was in September 2009. My husband went there first and recommended I check it out.  It was hot, but in some reason I had no trouble doing the poses. I actually thought I do them perfectly. Silly me – as time went on, the learning process started about how to do the poses correctly.  In my 10 day trial package I managed to get 6 classes in. I loved it from the beginning!

How often do you practice these days?
When I first started practicing I was doing 3-4 times a week.  It all changed with a challenge in 2010 April. We were all doing a 30 day challenge (yoga every day for 30 days). Then I continued to do 60 in a row, which turned into a 100 day challenge. That literally changed my life!!!

What are some of the most important benefits you receive from Bikram Yoga? Has it helped to improve your life in any way?
The most important benefits for me are emotional ones. I am born and raised in a country named Estonia and living in Canada since 2007 made me home-sick a lot. Bikram yoga helped me to deal with it and made me look at life in a different angle. I used to have many mood changes too – they disappeared.  As for physical benefits – there is so many – deep sleeps, don’ t feel my knee injury anymore, quick metabolism, better digestion, fit body and the list goes on and on!

What do you find most challenging about practicing Bikram Yoga?
The most challenging part is to just listen to the dialogue and avoid things going on in everyday life.  Often different thoughts sneak their way into my head. I am so looking forward only having classes where nothing bothers me and I am fully meditating!

What’s your current favorite posture?
I love the cobra pose as I can see it progressing. All the back bends feel great also. I mostly like all the postures J

What is your most dreaded posture?
They say that the posture you dislike the most, is the one your body needs. For me was the locust pose, where you lift your both legs up. I disliked it so much, that I often avoided it. But once I had a teacher taking photos of my poses, I could see how high up I go. I had no idea I went so high, so I started to love that one and push even harder.

What are some of your New Year’s resolutions for 2012?
Since I found out I am pregnant I haven’t come much, as I work a lot and in the evenings I was just totally wiped from work. Now I am at my second trimester and I have more energy. I am hoping to come 2 or 3 times a week!


No comments: